Sequoia Club Records are Open for Research

The Sequoia Club was established in 1892 by a group of wives of Bohemian Club members who wanted a  co-ed alternative for socializing and engaging in the arts together. The San Francisco History Center recently processed this small collection of minutes, guest books, financial records, clippings, ephemera, and a few photographs documenting the club from 1906-1983. Here are some highlights from the scrapbook whose cover is pictured at right:

1907 Dinners--delicious!

1958: A club picnic, a guest speaker on "How to Make a Good Cup of Coffee," U.S. Marines landing in Lebanon. In the archival world, context is everything; apparently, the creator of the scrapbook knew this too! 
1959: A summer card party, a formal dance, and a field trip to the Standard Oil Refinery in Richmond.

To learn more about the Sequoia Club Records, you can read the guide to the collection here, and come in person to the San Francisco History Center to take a look.

Image credits: All images are from the Sequoia Club Records (SFH 58), San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library.