It Came From the (Photo) Morgue!

As the days get shorter and the temperatures start to drop, this novel warming device just might be what you're looking for:


Photo and caption from the San Francisco News-Call Bulletin Photo Morgue, courtesy of the San Francisco Historical Photograph Collection, San Francsico Public Library.


Caption:
Oaklahoma City, Feb. 26 [1958] 
TEENAGER MODELS HER KNIT NOSEWARMER
Karen Bowers, Northwest High School student here, is busy these day [sic] knitting what may become a fad at the school.  She makes nosewarmers, and says they could become real popular if wintry weather sticks around awhile.  Karen, who models her handiwork above, has given nosewarmers to other students as gifts and says she is making more.


The Library owns the photo morgue of the San Francisco News-Call Bulletin, a daily newspaper that covered the time period from the 1920’s to 1965. Much of the San Francisco History Collection comes from the News-Call Bulletin morgue. However, the morgue also includes national and international subjects that have not been digitized or cataloged.

Looking for a historical photograph of San Francisco? Try our online database first. Not there? Come visit us at the Photo Desk of the San Francisco History Center, located on the sixth floor at the Main Library. The Photo Desk hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturdays 10 a.m. to noon, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
...

Comments

  1. I've been nagging my wife for years to knit me a nosewarmer, although I have to say this design is in not really what I had in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need 6 of these, how do I order?
    xo p

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my mom! I bet I could convince her to knit you a few...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment